Monday, November 4, 2013

Why Practice Yoga in the Early Morning

Hello Dear Ones! It's Marina today.

photo credit: NomadNotions via photopin cc
Did you know that traditionally yoga and meditation are practiced between 3:00 am and 6 am? Why get up so early for yogic practices? According to yogic tradition this time is Sattvic (pure), also known as Brahmamuhurtha (auspicious, Divine) time of the day. It is peaceful, the world is quiet, the air is charged with negative ions, our minds are not yet busy, our stomachs are empty and our bodies are not hungry. This is the time to feel the sacredness and depth of the teachings and techniques.
          
I love offering 6:30 am classes, because this is my opportunity to teach you the most authentic form and practices of yoga as I know it. Some of the practices that I offer here are only unique to these classes, like tratak (candle light gazing), agni sara and nauli (to improve and fire up your metabolism), bandhas (to activate, regulate and balance out energy flows), chanting and meditation (to calm and clear the mind).
            
Here are a couple of reflections from the practitioners who do make an effort to get up and practice this early in the day:

"Early morning yoga gives me the opportunity to be grateful for the gift of a new day.  Morning is truly an auspicious time to practice.  The word "auspicious" has it's origin in Latin ... coming from a "divination by observing the flight of birds" - a good omen.  Now it refers to a favorable situation of set of conditions; something likely to bring success.  This is true for me.  If I practice early in the morning, none of the clutter can get in the way of my good intentions.  Morning practice brings success, sets the tone for my whole day.  I feel prepared, ready to face what may come ... physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually." – Cosette

"My morning class with you is simply amazing how great I feel afterward and I make better decisions regarding, work, personal matters, I communicate better at work place. My mind is much more under control and peaceful. That is why I like my morning practice and your class. Plus, you also, teach pranayamas, cleansing techniques, meditation, which I don't see at any other classes, that is one more reason to come to your class that is strongly based on spirituality, becoming better person through faithful yoga practice."  – Kusum

Whenever you cannot make it to early classes or in between the sessions start your day with Sun Salutations or Tibetan Rites, which are designed to open your physical body, deepen your breath and also fill you up with energy. Devote 5 min to Kapalabhati breathing to empty mental cup and 5-10 min to quiet meditation to connect with inner stillness. And then go out there and be at your absolute best while offering the gift of you. As always I love hearing from you and learning about your experiences pertaining to practice and personal growth.

I teach Vinyasa Flow on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-7:45 am.  Make an effort to get up and practice this early in the day with me.

With lots of love and gratitude,
Marina



Tratak
Means to look or to gaze: it is practiced early in the morning or late at night in the dark to clear the tear ducts, strengthen eyesight, improve concentration and to bring the mind into one-pointedness and stillness. This practice activates ajna chakra, which leads to a heightened sense of intuition and inner guidance.

Sit in a meditative pose comfortably with your spine straight in front of a candle that is placed at the level of your eyes. Develop a steady gaze in the middle of the flame where the dark part of the flame meets the light part. Keep your gaze steady but relaxed to the point of no blinking. When the eyes tear, close them, relax and resume the gaze to experience steadiness of the gaze and the mind. Gradually build your tratak practice up to 5 min at a time and use it before meditating on ajna chakra.

No comments:

Post a Comment